Road closures on the 13th of March.
March 12, 2015, 1:36 a.m. » colombo , prime minister , expressway , closed , sri lanka
The interactive map below shows the roads that will be closed on the 13th of march in view of the visit by the Prime Minister of India Narendra Modi to Colombo. The schedule states that the first closure will be the Katunayake Expressway at 5:30 am. However as we found out during CHOGM and the papal visit, these road closures never actually follow the schedule. During the CHOGM we found that roads that were not even in the traffic plan were being closed apparently at random.
So the only sure way to find out if a road is closed (or not) is with our crowd sourced traffic alert system. If you happen to suffer the misfortune of finding the road ahead cordoned off, please be so kind as to tell us about it so that others can avoid the same fate.
- Katunayake expressway, Baseline Road, Horton Place, Green Path and Galle Road 5:30 - 6:30
- Galle Face Center Road 9:15 - 9:45
- Galle Face Center Road, Lotus Road, Dr. Wijewardana Mawatha, Maradana, Maligawatte road 11:30 - 12:30
- Galle Face, Liberty Circus, Public Library, Ananda Kumaraswamy Mawatha to Battaramulla 13:00 - 13:30
- Polduwa Road (near Water's Edge) 14:45 - 15:00
- Galle Face 16:45 - 17:15
- Galle Face and Janadhipathi Mawatha 19:45 - 20:00
All in all, it seems like a good day to take the train, or to carpool
Updated at 3:30pm: the police department made a further announcement that the road from Parliament to Galle face via Senanayake Junction, Horton Place and Kollupitiya will be closed between 4:30 and 5:00pm on the 13th. We assume that the period that the Galle Face is closed would then be changed to 5:00 pm to 5:30pm (originally scheduled as 4:45 to 5:15 pm)
- Roads in Colombo that will be closed on the 14th of March »
- « New words enter the Sinhala vocabulary.